Sunday, April 5, 2009

Strawberries!


Look! My strawberry plants are coming up!!! Yes, that is a rose vine in there with it. Last year I read (I think on the Univ of Iowa extension website) that strawberries and roses should be planted together because they give each other the nutrients that they need. So, I decided to try it. Hopefully both the strawberries and roses will do very well this year.

Last year, I didn't get very many strawberries and most of the ones I did get were eaten by the squirels. My neighbor always feeds them peanuts so I have a lot of squirels in my yard and a LOT of peanuts buried in my pots and beds. However, she moved so maybe I'll have better luck this year.

I have a trellis on the side of my deck for the roses to climb on. I planted 2 plants 3 years ago and planted one only last year. Let's hope they all grow really well this year and cover the trellis. Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day so I'll be out in the garden most of the day. It gets me motivated to get in the garden when I see something like this.

Blessings,

3 comments:

Danni said...

Oh wow! I'm so jealous! We don't have the right weather or soil to grow strawberries here. Love homegrown strawberries! Enjoy!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Whoo hoo Strawberries! Are they wild ones or domesticated ones?

Laurie said...

Yay for strawberries! I used to grow them when I lived in California. I just bought the most fun strawberry dish towel at an antique store -- a true harbinger of spring!